Monday, June 2, 2008

Ticking things off my to list do

I'm a planner and I'll fully admit it. My mom as no idea where this comes from as she is a super last minute person and she produces wonderful things last minute. I wish I could be more like my mom, more outgoing, doesn't worry about everything, etc. I guess on my birthday my parents discussed how I was more like my Dad - we both worry about EVERYTHING.

Now back to my to do list. For awhile now I've had thing long to do list that includes such things as find a place to live, buy a car. And I got to cross the large a majority of things off all in the same WEEK. You have no idea how glad I am that we are done car shopping, the sales lady would always ask Jarrett if I was even interested in the car. He would just tell her I was concerned about the money. I was excited about the cars but we had Landon with us and Jarrett understood it more, so I figured it was better that he had is full attention on the process. We ended up buying a Mitsubishi Outlander which is a small SUV, even though it seems big to me as I've been driving a small car for the last 3 years. Then the next thing on our list was we got a call that we got into the Townhouse complex we wanted to be in. It's nice because we have a lot of friends that live there and it is still in our ward, best of all it is cheap. We had gone back and forth about buying or renting and finally settled on renting. We aren't sure where we will end up and Jarrett is doing site work right now, which may end anywhere between Nov and April and don't want to be in a position of having to sell a house after only living in it for a year.

We also got to tick some fun things off our list. I've been wanting to buy new couches basically since we got married. We've got the hand me down variety that we are the 3rd owners of. When Jarrett was driving home from work on Saturday he heard about a big furniture sale, so we went and checked it out. We ended up getting a couch, love seat and chair for $2000 instead of the regular price of $6000. So we scored a great deal. Also the other fun thing I get to do is get laser eye surgery. I've wanted this for awhile and now seems like a good time we have benefits that will pay for about $500 of it and it will pay for itself after awhile as I'll no longer have to buy contacts. It is kinda scary when i stop and think of it but I try not to stop and think of it. It seems like we are doing so much right now but we had been saving for all these things and just didn't want to do them until Jarrett was done school and got a job.

Also Sharon a note to you - you can stalk my blog but I can't stalk your blog because you are private. I would like to read about you, too.

Sorry, this is so long but I wanted to share about our primary party (I'm the first couselor). We had a mini MTC. First they were given invitations calling them to different missions. We made cute name tags that looked like missionary badges and sent them to the MTC where they memorized a scripture, sang missionary songs. Then we had a game with the Articles of Faith and they all signed a flag for the contry they went to - we did Japan, Tonga, France and Russia (we just used people who had served those missions from our ward). We had a 3 legged race and bean bag toss for P-day. Then we sent them to there missions where they learned about the countries. Finally we gave them mac and cheese, hot dogs, chocolate milk and watermelon for lunch. I was so impressed with how good it went and our turn out.

5 comments:

Marie said...

Okay, I am loving your MTC primary party. Totally keeping that one on file for future use.

So great to get things ticked off your to-do list, isn't it? Very few things are as satisfying.

And I am a little covetous of your new furniture. We have been married 7 years, and still look like students. Sigh.

Nikki said...

Glad to hear the primary party went well. To answer your questions about FHE, we've included Caleb in them since he was about 6 months. I just make them short and sweet and if I have pictures he points at them and gets excited, but mostly he just tries to escape. I figure it's the effort that counts. He's getting better, though.

Sharon said...

Wow, good thing I checked back in soon! I guess I had that coming since broke the number one blog stalking rule - "Never reveal thy presence"

I may be private, but I'm no snob. Toss your blogger email address to tylerandsharon@fastmail.ca and your request shall be granted.


Congrats on the list - those are some pretty big accomplishments! My list usually contains things like "make bread" or "clean bathroom", but I can't even get those done!

JWalburger said...

Sounds like a great idea! Congrads on ticking all those things off of your list.

The Whiddens said...

Wow - you guys are sure busy these days. Congrats to Jarrett on graduating. That is so exciting.
I am also jealous of your couches. Those have been on my list for awhile, too :)