Saturday, November 29, 2008

Vegas

We decided to take a family vacation. It was really nice to just go on a trip with just the 3 of us, as most of all our other trips usually involve other family. It was nice to create memories with just the 3 of us.

We decided on Vegas as that is where Jarrett served his mission. We joked that we were going to see the part that Jarrett wasn't allowed to see on his mission, as missionaries are not allowed to go to the strip. It was pretty fun, the first 3 nights we stayed at the Imperial Palace, the hotel was nothing exciting but it was cheap and in a pretty good location. We spent our first two days basically just walking up and down the strip. The highlight of the walking the strip was going to the Mandalay Bay Shark Reef. Landon loves fish and it had tons of fish. Landon would point at the fish and say " Hi, Fish, Hi, Fish". We then got to fulfil one of my dreams of going to a restaurant featured on the food network by going to the Burger bar in Mandalay Place. One thing about the strip is that it is loooong. You can see where you are going but it take a long time to get there. One of the other highlights of the trip was the Bellagio Fountain show. we stopped and watched it 3 times and each time it was a different song and show. It was pretty cool, I'll try to upload the video but I don't know if it will work. On Friday on the trip I was able to go to a taping of The Ellen Show - it was fun but a lot of waiting. We then went to Kingman, AZ and Hoover Dam for a couple days but that's another post. Then we came back to the strip for a day and stayed in the Luxor hotel which was nicer than our first hotel but farther away from everything. One of the most random parts of our trip was when we were driving back to return our rental car we were a little early and we passed this light display in a park (it was like bright lights in Edmonton) and we just randomly decided to go to it.

Landon and Jarrett waiting for the fountain show



Our Happy Hour Sonic drink. Oh, how I wish they had Sonic here.



In the tunnel of fish at the Shark reef




Me, touching the slimy fish in the touch tank

Outside the Vegas Temple - it had some of the nicest temple grounds I've seen.
It was a great trip even though Landon had a fever most of it, he still was a pretty good traveller. I did feel bad for the people on the plane with us when Landon screamed on the way home before he finally fell asleep (this was after he threw up - it was not a great plane ride home). I'm hoping we will be able to do more family trips with just our little family again soon.


3 comments:

The Gibb Family said...

It sounds like your trip was a lot of fun! Good for you for going - I'm quite jealous! (I am not jealous of you touching that slimy fish though - yuck!!)

The Whiddens said...

Looks like a really fun trip. I am so jealous you got to go to a taping of Ellen!

Marie said...

How great! I love that you took your first vacation with just your family. And I was very happy you flew. I cannot imagine that much time if a van with a toddler. Yikes.