Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Irrational Fears of Landon

To say Landon has some fears would be an understatement. Lets just say he's a real sensitive child when it comes to some things

Number 1 - Kids that scream. Landon never really was a screamer and definitely does not appreciate other children who are. He has begun to tolerate other kids and the noise they make, though he still has his off days where he'll cry if another child laughs too loud. This has made nursery a little difficult for him as sometimes it just gets a little too loud for him there. In most situations we'll usually just remove him from the noise and let him calm down a bit but we usually just make him suck it up in nursery and he's getting better (plus the other kids seem to be calming down that used to scream)

Number 2 - The Vacuum. Landon hates it! This is a total recent development as he's never really had a problem before but now he will run and hide at the site of a vacuum. I was upstairs vacuuming and when I came down I couldn't find Landon. I was calling his name and looking everywhere and I finally found him hiding in the corner between our two couches under the blankets. I wasn't even vacuuming on the same floor as him. Now I just give him warning when I am going to vacuum. This has worked to our favor as he always want to eat in front of the TV or eat a cookie as he walking around - so if he won't listen to us when we tell him no go eat it at the table, we remind him we'll have to vacuum if he makes a mess. That usually gets his attention.

Number 3 - Water on his head. This one is a little more normal as lots of kids don't like getting water poured on their heads but Landon used to be okay with it. He didn't like it but would tolerate it as part of a bath but know he just freaks out. Any advice on how to help him with this?


Landon is a funny little guy and I can't really blame him for his irrational fears as I know I have lots of them myself

4 comments:

Marie said...

The vacuum one is hilarious. "Watch out with that cookie, Buddy, or we'll have to bring out ol' Mister Vacuum."

No advice with the water on the head thing. It is a phase that comes and goes around here. I hope it doesn't last too long for you.

Corrine said...

carson used to be afraid of "loofas" so we used to line them up in a doorway of a room we didn't want him to go into...it came in handy.

The Gibb Family said...

At least Aiden isn't around anymore to laugh or scream loud! That should take care of that fear! haha
Oh Landon - such a funny kid!

Bre's Interiors said...

Cute! It's cute those little fears they develope and you often wonder where it comes from and why they are scared of that particule thing. I'll keep Avery away from Landon, because when shes happy or excited she screams!