Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Saturday that was a little Super

Let me preface this with this - A feel a need to blog about his even though there are no pictures as this will never happen again

I am the Enrichment Leader (but not really as we don't have Enrichment anymore, what would my new title be, maybe Relief Society Activity Leader. That just doesn't sound as good). So I thought it would be a good idea to have a Super Saturday, as I personally like to attend them and was sad when I missed last years. There was holes in this plan to begin with 1. Kari who planned last year's told me not to (she tried to share her wisdom but I didn't listen) 2. I'm not very crafty and by nature super Saturdays are craft oriented 3. we had to move it up by a month as original date didn't work- giving me about a month to put the whole thing together. 4. The entire enrichment committee consists of 3 people and that includes me and the counselor over enrichment 5. We just got a new presidency and I really didn't know the new counselor and this is both of our first callings in Relief Society

There were a lot of bumps in the road to get there. Turns out I'm not so good at the estimating of costs. I was way off on one activity to the point that I had to call people and ask them if the wanted to pay a new price or opt out. Those are slightly embarrassing phone calls. I had a super hard time finding some much needed supplies. Clipboards are in short supplies in our city it turns out. So I spent a lot of time running all over trying to find everything and it definitely didn't help that I was sick. Then there was the major panic mode when are vinyl class teacher was 15 mins late and that was 50% of our day

Let's talk about the good things I learned
1. We had a great turn out, tons of people just came to socialize and work on the service project. We even had a some less actives and non-members come which is great. The whole atmosphere to the day was one of just hanging out and visiting. We only had 5 classes and that worked out great as it made it that everyone was only split up between 2 rooms.
2.That when I vented my frustration to the wonderful world of facebook it was great to reminded that my friends cared about me. Also all the friends who were willing to help
3. There were 2 hiccups with our big vinyl order but we were able to smooth them out without anyone knowing as one involved the counselors order and the other involved not enough glass blocks and we just used the ones from our orders and made arrangements to get more at a later date
4. That I love the RS counselor that I work with. We work great together and that just makes our calling s so much easier. Man if I had to do this calling with someone who's personality I didn't get along great with, it would definitely suck
5. Jarrett is great at supporting me in my calling. He helped set up, brought Parker in the middle so I could feed him and cleaned the house while I was gone

So all in all I guess the day was a success, now onto the next thing, our Relief Society Christmas Party

6 comments:

Heather said...

It sounds very stressful! You have a good attitude.

Michelle said...

Ah, sounds great! I am sure glad it was your activity and not mine. I am currently searching for 37 pumpkins for tomorrow to do a pumpkin carving and I can't find any. Wish me luck.

Nikki said...

I know you had such a rough time with it, but I really enjoyed it. And it's kind of nice when it's not all frilly type crafts either:) If you need any help at all with the Christmas party, please let me know. I love that kind of stuff.

Ambs said...

Oh, come on it was more than a little super Alana! haha It was really fun! There were TONS of people there and everyone really enjoyed talking and doing crafts here and there. I've never been to a super Saturday, but I thought it was a good one! Thanks for taking the time to put it together. And I'm sorry that I'm not in the committee anymore... :(

The Gibb Family said...

Well Alana, I'm glad that it all turned out, and even happier for you that it is over! Sounds like it was a great day! (It's always hard to notice when you are the one in charge and running around all day)
Good luck with next years!! haha!

Marie said...

Planning big events scares me. I'm always off. Always.