So I went to Women's conference last week and I'll fully admit I wasn't super jazzed about it. Jarrett was home and I wanted to spend time with him. In the end it turned out great as I did get a much needed break from my kids and Jarrett got in some good bonding time with his boys plus i went to the best women's conference ever. It was a two part conference with service projects where I helped make fleece blankets and sew dolls shut after they have been stuffed. Then we went in for a meeting where we there were two speakers - again being the pessimistic me I thought this is going to feel like forever. Again proven wrong by how fast the time went by. They had two speakers one talked about Being happy in our stage of life now - a topic we all need to know and the other talked about understanding/hearing spiritual prompting/answers. i cant remember his exact words. Both topics were handled extremely well. The first speaker used a lot of humor in her topic while the I felt the Spirit so strong while she talked. I think that she had a very difficult topic as many of us are prone to feel that everything is better on the other side, when certain things happen, when are children get older, etc. I especially liked this talk as I have been having a hard time with Jarrett being away and trying to deal with my children. During her talk I thought of the blessings that have come because of Jarrett being up north. One of the blessings is that I think that we love each other more. It's true that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I miss Jarrett when he is not here and know that having here makes my life better. This causes me to appreciate him more. The speaker also made the point of touching on the topic of depression and how some have that trial and are not able for a time to feel happy (she herself had suffered from post-partum depression). She said that the Lord will understand if one is going through that trail it is okay if they just endure and they should try to seek out help. She made a comment that our Stake Relief Society had said that she feels that depression is a plague of the last days. The Second speaker talked about knowing things of the Spirit. It was a really interesting talk as he talked about looking at things critically (he's a lawyer). It was a very interesting talk and he had some very interesting comments that really made me think. One thing he said is that the Lord would not tell you to go against the gospel. It was a great topic as I think many of us have difficulties trying to figure out the promptings of the Spirit and those that are own thoughts.
I really liked the intermediate hymn. It was hymn #128 "When Faith Endures"
"I will not doubt, I will not fear;
God's love and strength are always near.
His promised gift helps me to find
An inner strength and peace of mind.
I give the Father willingly
My trust, my prayer, humility.
His Spirit guides; his love assures
That fear departs when faith endures."
So lesson learned don't ever skip Women's Conference - it may be one of your best spiritual experiences
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Women's Conference
Posted by Alana at 7:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It's sounds like it was really great, I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
Good lesson! I like that hymn, too.
Wonderful topics to speak on. Both things we need to hear.
Ooh I need to look up the talk that the woman gave. We're having a "Relief Society" evening this month and that's our topic. I know what you mean about having your hubby away, Steve is up north right now too and I don't know that I've ever appreciated him as much as I do now- especially on a Saturday, which is usually my day to relax and his day to tidy up the house and entertain the girls! Some blessings are a lot of work!
Post a Comment