So last Tuesday I was making dinner and Landon was fooling around. He was playing with a little step stool in our kitchen when I heard him fall. He instantly ran and buried his head in our cream throw rug, I went to check him out and saw that he was bleeding (I then got mad at him for bleeding on my rug. At this point I wasn't too concerned as I know that mouth wounds bleed tons even when they are very minor. I got him to show me his tongue and instead of a cut in his lip that I was expecting there was a huge gash in his tongue. I then called my mom (did I mention Jarrett's still working up north) and she tell me to call the Health Link number. I talk to them and they advise me I should probably just for good measure go to a hospital. I ended up going to Health First in Sherwood Park which is between a medicentre and a hospital. They tell me though it is large because of it's position on the tongue they won't stitch it up as mouth wounds heal fast naturally and it has stopped bleeding. I'm okay with this response and we go home. At 11 pm Landon starts bleeding again and I call my parents and Jarrett in a panic. My parents come and by that time Landon is back to sleep and my Dad gives him a blessing. At 2 am Landon wakes up again bleeding, I get him to hold a cloth on his tongue and get him to take some Advil for the pain. In the morning I call my sister for advice (mainly reassurance that it will just heal) plus leave a message for our family doctor to call to get his advice. We then wait and Landon bleeds on and off all day. I find a huge blood clot that has come off his tongue and get worried, we call the doctors back and decide to just go in. Being the walk in patient means we wait along time and Parker does not want to wait. Poor Landon is starving but every time he tries to eat it hurts his tongue and it makes it bleed more. By the time we see the doctor it has stopped bleeding and he tells me the same thing about them healing naturally but does show concern for all the bleeding and tells me that he was call me in two hours and if it is still bleeding he's send us to Stollery ER. We wait and the doctor never calls (figure out later that I never updated our phone number -they've been calling my parents who are at the temple). I make the decision when it doesn't stop bleeding to just go to the hospital, at this point I make Landon show me his tongue and it looks super swollen. The problem is what to do with Parker. I end up calling the Relief Society President (whom I don't really know) to watch him and luckily she is willing and able. So I get to the hospital and Landon is super lathargic and does not want to stand up and I can barely hold him, so they get him a wheelchair and he just curls up. I'm know certain that something major is wrong with my child as this is not how he acts. We go to get triage, the nurse looks at his tongue and wonders how he is breathing and they take Landon straight back while I register him. When I get to him wrong there are a ton of doctors and nurses (part of that is that it is a teaching hospital) and a ENT is brought in and they decide what to do. It is decided that it is best to stitch up his tongue under general anesthetic. They are worried about the clot (his tongue isn't swollen it has a huge blood clot on it) dislodging and something going wrong if they try to do anything while he's awake. So he goes for surgery, while he's in surgery I call Jarrett and tell his the outcome of us going to the hospital. Jarrett calls his parents in Lethbridge so that we can get a hold of my parents who are working at the temple as I have to stay overnight at the hospital, so I need them to get Parker. Realize that I forgot to push save when I was putting the phone number I needed in my phone. I go out to put more money in the parking meter but can't come back the way I came so I go another door and get lost but end up running into some people from my old ward and I was able to use the Internet on their phone to look up the number I needed. My parents and my father in law ( who turned out was in Edmonton) then got there and we went and found Landon room (which when we asked security they told us he wasn't in the hospital - I informed them he was for sure. Turns out he was between places). So my parents took my car to go get Parker and I stayed the night. Next day Landon was pretty much back to normal. It turns out in the end what was wrong with his tongue was that the edges were jagged so they wouldn't meet and this cause it to keep gaping open and bleeding
Things I learned
-Stollery Children's hospital is awesome
- At first I was mad at myself for not going to a hospital first but them realized they probably would have told me the same thing at first and it turned out better as I would have went to a different hospital
- Always update your phone number with Doctor
- I'm glad church members are willing to help each other
- Having your husband gone sucks
5 comments:
I really wish I'd been able to help that night. If it helps, I was worrying about Landon during Activity Days. I'm glad that the Stollery acted so fast though and that Landon was feeling better once it was dealt with. Give him a big hug for me.
I can totally feel for you as we've been in the hospital too many times to count. The stress is unbelievable. I'm glad everything worked out.
Wow, Alana! That's a scary story. I'm so glad he's doing okay now.
That is a horrible story! I am so glad you were able to get the help you needed and that Landon is okay. I'm sure that was super scary!
We're having kids at the same time again???? THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to find out what you're having. Keep me updated! Someday we'll have to get our kids together to meet each other.
Post a Comment