Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A little Tale for You

Ashlyn's first cookie

I had good intentions of blogging of some sort. Instead all you get is a cute picture and a cautionary tale. So Jarrett and I are in charge of my family's reunion next year, so we have started to look for places to rent (not an easy feat as there are 41 people). First place we found turned out to be more expensive than anticipated, second place was in our price range and all seemed good. So we started the paperwork to secure the rental, as we got farther into the process a few things seemed off and then the big red flag came. Turns out we had inquired about the same property from two different rental websites... and got responses from two different people. We weren't sure what to do (mainly because we wanted to be done looking for a place to rent), but Jarrett had a suggestion that I should email the second people and ask if they were the owners or if they had anyone else who responded to their inquiries.  I got an email back that they were indeed the owners, so emailed them and told them about the responses I had gotten. They quickly emailed me back and informed me not to send them money and that they were a scam. (biggest red flag they wanted us to wire money - which some legit people do still do but they were located in England, property was in Idaho). I can tell you that rental website was good about their reaction even if they don't have phone option to press for "I almost got scammed". So now I am back at square one and taking the ignore my problem for awhile route.

0 comments: