I guess if I was to have to fill out my occupation on any type of document, they would make me pick homemaker. This is something I feel I am far from being. But this week I decided to see if I could learn one of these skills and tried my hand at canning.
I made Pickled carrots with a recipe I got from my Mother -in -law and canning pot from my mom. There were some slip ups - I bought pickling spices instead of pickling salt but I caught it before it could harm the final product. We have about a month to find out if they taste good or not but the cans sealed. How glorious it was to hear that little pop sound -it meant I wasn't a failure! I still want to try making pickled beets but as I'm using the Internet as my recipe book, I'm not sure which to trust. So if anyone has a recipe for pickled beets, I would love it. Now if I could only learn to sew, then I would definitely be on my way to being a homemaker.
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Adventures in Homemaking
Posted by Alana at 2:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Way to Go Alana!! I love that satisfying little "pop" too!!
I'm jealous that you can just borrow Mom's stuff. I feel like I need to invest in my own. Whoever would have thought that we'd be cannning stuff on our own? I certainly didn't.
Pickled carrots? The only thing I've had pickled is, well, a pickle! Do they taste carroty?
I am totally on board with the pop sound though. I do a little happy dance when it works. I had lots of fun this year. I did peaches, pears, apple juice, and jam. Monday I will do tomatoes.
It turns out I love canning. My mom did it when I was little and then quit when I was about 10, so I didn't learn until I was married and a mother. Dirk bought me my own canning stuff last year for my birthday and it was my favourite gift. I'd been using my mother's old, worn out stuff for years, and now I had a shiny new canner all for me.
Congrats on being such a good little homemaker!
I am very impressed! Three cheers! I'm definately out of the canning loop. Carrie was pretty successful and set us a jar of jam in the mail. That's as close as I've gotten.
I will get my mum's pickled beets recipe tonight for you, if you want. It's pretty good. I grew up with it and I love eating pickled beets, lol.
Post a Comment